Clinical Services Stanley Ear Nose Throat & Sinus Centre
Bad Breath (Halitosis)
- Numerous patients present to Dr Stanley with bad breath problems which cause social embarrassment.
- A thorough ENT / Endoscopic examination to rule out ENT causes like Cryptic Tonsillitis, Sinusitis or dental caries is essential.
- After all these medical causes are excluded, a halitosis management programme is instituted.
Halitosis Management Programme
- Basically, it is believed that micro-bacteria reside in the crevasses of the tongue, tongue base and gingiva.
- These interact with residual food producing sulphide gases leading to bad breath.
- Patients are advised to scrape the tongue with a tongue scraper twice a day in addition to the use of an oxidising mouth wash and special toothpaste to neutralise the smelly odour.